Saturday, December 31, 2011

The New Year

A toast to all for the new year:

To my students past and present,  I have the best job in the world because of you.  I actually get excited when I go back to work.  I love watching you grow and change and I want to be at your weddings.

To Robert, who told me to go see Hugo in 3D.  Yes it made me cry, almost throughout.  It also made me believe in the power of art, reminded me that there is beauty.  If we are a dying planet, we are going out in style.  There are a thousand other things to say.  Thanks for being friend.

To Kris, who should have said no, but probably didn't out of friendship and a sense of duty that is rarer and rarer.  I will not let you down.

To Brad and Natalie, what a great end to a hard few years.  Here's to many more!
To Sean and Carol, I think I love you both more than ever.  You only get one family and you're lucky if you happen to like them.  You have handled the hardest of years with dignity and grace and I have learned from you.

To Kate and John, How did we get so lucky? For all the fun times, we thank you. 

To Jeffrey and Alisa,  I may have married Julie, but I gained a brother and sister.  I have spent my life being adopted by other people's families.  Thanks for taking me in.

To Robert and Michael, I have spent considerable time trying to forget the past.  Thank you for reminding me of the good friends and good times.

To Hilary,  There is life after divorce.  For me, it has been better.  I wish the same for you.

To the Boys,  You won't read this, but can you ever know how much I love you.  Parental love is expressed in a variety of ways.  Remember that I care when I get mad.

To My Wife,  There is nothing better than being understood, accepted--it is the essence of love.  The fireworks are wonderful and the butterflies grand, but coming home to somebody you can talk to, somebody you want to be with is worth a thousand grand finales.  My life would be far worse without you and you make me want to try to be a better person.

To All,  Happy New Year!  Even years are always better than odd.  Here's to 2012!

1 comment: