Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Toy Story 3

The 3D aspect of this film was meaningless. The story was the ticket and it was an "E" ride. I went to see Toy Story 3 with my 10 year old son, Spencer, thinking that he would probably say it sucked and that I would catch some sleep behind the glasses--I've never been happier to be proven wrong. It isn't really that TS3 departed so sharply from the other fine films in the series, as much as it is that I may have forgotten how good those earlier films were. I was also reminded that reception of a film, physically and emotionally, depends on where you are and who you're with--no shit? In any case, I saw where this film was going with about 20 minutes left and didn't stop crying until the end. Spoiler Alert! The kid in the movie grows up, leaves his mom, sister and the toys (childhood) behind. I kept thinking of the 10 year old next to me growing up, leaving his toys, his room, his childhood, his father behind, and I wept. The film made me question, again, what role cinema plays in our lives. Does it instruct us, reflect our behavior, provide us a cathartic experience? TS3 with Spencer in tow did all of the above, even if I did have to pay extra for the glasses.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad the glasses didn't add much to it. We took our two year old daughters to see this film. It was their first theater experience, and I can thing of no better way to initiate their movie going adventures. I also cried, but up until now have only been able to admit it to my wife. Thank you for allowing me to open up to somebody. You must be a very special person.
    We of course have watched the first two films again since seeing the movie, and the girls have not stopped saying Buzz, and Woodie, each time I approach the T.V.
    It was the cleanest, most respectable and satisfying ending to a trilogy I think that I have ever seen. They knew it too, since that principle is woven directly into the message of the movie so artistically and sentimentally.
    I can't wait until it comes out on DVD so I can finally let go over and over and over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete